Pre-finished or unfinished wood flooring?
There is no single answer for whether to choose pre-finished or un-finished flooring. In this article we’ll get into details about how each is produced and the advantages of each. But for those who are looking for a quick answer, here’s a summary.
Advantages of pre-finished flooring include:
- Faster and cleaner installation, since no sanding is required at the job-site.
- Often comes with a warranty on the finish.
- Lower labor costs can lead to an overall lower cost depending on your situation.
- Factory-applied finishes are generally more durable and longer-lasting than those that can eb applied at a job-site.
Advantages of unfinished flooring include:
- A completely-smooth surface, since sanding is done after installation. (Pre-finished floors usually have a microbevel).
- A wide variety of finishes and staining are possible.
- If penetrating oil is used as a finish then partial refinishing becomes possible.
- Longer plank-lengths are available, as well as custom milling.
Which should you choose then, let’s dig in a little deeper. (more…)